Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why book a library skills class?
Library skills classes will help students develop the skills they need to source scholarly information to engage with their curriculum, complete assignments and build their disciplinary knowledge throughout their college experience.
Students who have developed these skills are:
- aware of the different types of information sources available to them.
- able to effectively search for quality information using the platforms provided to them by the library.
- able to interpret, evaluate and apply that information responsibly and ethically.
- able to communicate and share their findings.
- are able to organise and manage their findings.
The library provides a range of on campus and online classes for academics to book for their students. We will work with you to ensure the classes are relevant to the students learning needs. The type of topics we cover include:
- Introduction to Library Services
- Finding and using scholarly sources for assignments including books, eBooks, journals, article databases
- Referencing and avoiding plagiarism
- Introduction to our online library guides and suite of how-to videos on YouTube which all accessible via our library website e.g. how to search the catalogue, how to find an item from your reading list...
- Effective approaches to organising your information
- How to use free reference management software
- Q&A sessions after each class and we will use the chat on Zoom to follow up with students online and answer any questions they have in relation to the topics we cover and the assignments they have.
See what AIT Library is offering your students: Student Journey to Success 2021 - 2022
The Library is continuously working to develop initiatives to assist students achieve their academic goals. "Your Student Journey to Success" highlights the supports and services we provide through these initiatives. We provide drop in library clinics for students that cover a range of relevant topics related to sourcing information, effectively organising information, referencing and much more. This year we are hosting Library Live Sessions every Wednesday where we will discuss topics such as the above and answer any student queries. Students will have to chance to submit questions to us via Instagram and our Library Chat.
Book a Class
These classes are adapted to the particular learning levels of the group of students taking the class. We ask that you are selecting the date you would like to schedule the class that you try and give us at least a week in advance.
- The Art of Referencing An advanced session suitable for postgraduates working with scholarly sources.
- Finding other theses This session is very relevant for new postgraduates developing an understanding of their topic and scholarly landscape.