Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Thesis or Dissertation
Remember to use the terminology on the Thesis itself e.g. doctoral dissertation or Masters Thesis in…
The definition for Dissertation vs Thesis is different in the UK and Ireland to the USA.
Shorten the URL if too long.
Treat similar to a book with one author.
- Author(s) in format: Surname, Initial/s
- Year of publication (in round brackets) followed by a full stop
- Title (italics)
- Type of document (e.g. Unpublished doctoral thesis) in round brackets followed by a full stop
- Full name of institution.
- Location. (for printed copy only)
- If retrieved from a University repository, add Retrieved from http://www.xxxxx
- If retrieved from a commercial database (e.g. EThOS), give the ID number at the end of the reference (in round brackets).
Author, Initials. (year). Title of thesis (Unpublished doctoral thesis). Name of institution, Location. Retrieved from URL
In text Citation:
Gormley (2016) found that the living arrangements of Irish students are quite different to those in the US.
Gormley, B. (2016) Commuting versus resident students: differences in Irish student engagement, social and living conditions based on place of residence. (Unpublished EdD thesis) University of Sheffield, Sheffield. Retrieved from EThOS. (EThOS ID uk.bl.ethos.690153)
Author, Initials. (year). Title of thesis (Unpublished doctoral thesis). Name of institution, Location.
Hughes (2014) argues that…
Hughes, P. I. (2014) Novel applications of food grade antimicrobial lipids. (Unpublished Thesis) Athlone Institute of Technology, Athlone.